One of the biggest debates between the natural health movement and science is the safety of GMO food.
I rather side on the err of caution and avoid them if all possible. It is very hard to avoid everything produced from using genetically modified organisms in the United States because most products made from them` are unlabeled. There is even controversy surrounding the USDA organic certification because their organic certification does not always mean that it will be completely free. 1 The most anyone can do in this situation is to limit the amount that they consume or come into contact with in their daily lives.
Some of your supplements are carrying fillers or vitamins derived from GMO sources as well.
GMO Fillers(unless listed): 2
- Modified food starch (corn)
- Corn starch
- Hydrogenated soybean oil
- Soy lecithin
- GMO fed pork / beef gelatin
- Whey / egg white protein from GMO fed cattle / chickens
- Natural flavoring
- Citric acid
- Lactic acid
- Xanthan gum
- Ascorbyl palmitate
GMO Derived Vitamins(Unless listed from a non-GMO source):
- Vitamin C – derived from genetically modified corn dextrose fermentation 3
- Vitamin E – derived from genetically modified soybean oil, cottonseed oil, and from corn oil 4
- Vitamin K2 – derived from genetically modified soybeans 5
Non-GMO derived vitamins can be hard to find in a lot of the different supplements. I let this slide for a lot of supplements because the vitamins are so heavily refined that very little if any GMO proteins are found in the final product. That being said try to find GMO free vitamins if all possible.
Recommended Vitamin C:
Recommended Vitamin E:
- North American Herb & Spice Purely-E
- Thorne Basic Nutrients 2/ A Day
- http://gmo-awareness.com/2011/05/05/is-organic-always-gmo-free/ ↩
- http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/gmos-and-your-family/ ↩
- https://www.pureencapsulations.com/media/Ascorbic%20Acid.pdf ↩
- http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/e-numbers/203.vitamin_e.html ↩
- http://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-the-missing-nutrient ↩