Show notes provided by ACH85. Thank you!
Hangout with Hooper 7/20/2015 Show Notes
- 1:00 – Is goat whey better than cow whey? No whey! Goat’s milk has some benefits for people who have issues with milk but whey is a concentrate or isolate, shouldn’t be much different in terms of tolerability.
- 6:00 – Plasma proteins
- 7:00 – Hydrolyzed proteins
- 9:00 – Can skin conditions indicate gut conditions? Yes, with some examples, and also some misconceptions.
- 12:00 – Kidney stones: more than just genetics? Probably just genetics, but there are risk profiles to consider and things you should do and avoid.
- 19:00 – Why the PQQ and ubiquinol in Unfair Advantage is better than other supplements
- 21:00 – Can someone with leaky gut drink Bulletproof Coffee? It depends. If you can’t tolerate lactose, switch butter to ghee. Coffee increases MMC (migrating motor complex,) might cause problems if you have hydrogen dominant SIBO and diarrhea. There are some alternate recipes on FixYourGut.com.
- 23:00 – Bacterial die-off symptoms when using MCT’s
- 25:00 – Acid/alkaline ratios, what would happen if you are too acidic or alkaline? Blood pH matters, urine pH doesn’t, and “alkaline diets” affect urine and perhaps gut pH. British Journal of Nutrition article 9016507 shows diet has nothing to do with blood pH.
- 29:00 – Problems with reducing gut pH
- 32:00 – Thoughts on kombucha tea? Not good. Maybe OK if you cultured your own under controlled conditions. German sauerkraut and kimchi is a good choice for fermented food.
- 35:00 – Raw milk, pasteurization, MAP (Mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis), Crohn’s, and Ulcerative Colitis
- 42:00 – Article: are people getting sick from kale? (And other dark leafy greens and cruciferous veggies, because they’re hyper-accumulators of heavy metals.) This is actually a risk with specific heavy metals in specific areas. Jason provides a list. In the U.S. the big one is Southern California or farming near coal fire plants due to arsenic and lead. There are arsenic issues with rice as well, jasmine is your best rice choice.
- 50:00 – Are high mineral waters a good source of magnesium? Yes, but you’d have to drink a lot to get enough. May not be the best form depending on where the water is from.
- 54:00 – Is MCT oil watered down coconut oil? No! Your liver has to produce enzymes for any fat over 8 carbon chains, Brain Octane is pure C8. Don’t consume a lot of MCT with fructose.
- 57:00 – What are Jason and John’s hobbies outside of gut hacking?